Saturday 27 April 2013

The cost of shopping at Primark- Collapse of factory building in Bangladesh



[This is a narration of an anonymous brother, expressing his feelings regarding the collapsing of the factory building in Bangladesh.] 




An hour before reading with horror on Thursday morning that workers at a clothes factory that collapsed in Bangladesh on Wednesday had been ordered to return to work after their bosses decided cracks in the wall were nothing to worry about, I was deciding what to wear.
The season has changed and most of my lighter clothes feel stale, while my children have grown and been promised new things that fit them. We must all go shopping, I thought. But where?
Not every time I open my purse, but regularly, I consume ethically, or as ethically as I can. I buy gas and electricity from the Co-op, and shop mostly at the Co-op and local grocers. I don’t buy factory-farmed meat or battery eggs, and choose Fairtrade products when I can.
I don’t think my spending habits are going to change the world, and I don’t think ethical consumption is a very effective lever in building a more just and sustainable society. That is what politics is for. But I do think if you can afford to, that it’s worth trying to give your money to producers you approve of rather than those you know are avoiding taxes, paying workers a pittance or harming the environment.
But when it comes to fashion, applying even the most modest ethical criteria is ridiculously hard. All the big chains – including Primark, which had a supplier in the destroyed Rana Plaza building on Dhaka’s outskirts, and has promised “to provide support where possible” to the families of the 187 workers known to have died – have ethics policies that can be viewed online. None has a clearly labelled and readily available Fairtrade or equivalent line on the shop floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment